The 2019 mid-year intake will not be taking on new students for this programme. To register your interest in studying this programme in 2020, please click the button below and we will get in contact with you when applications open for 2020 on 1 August 2019.
Register your interest
Put your degree to good use teaching young children.
This one-year full-time programme leads to teacher registration in New Zealand.
The Graduate Diploma of Teaching (ECE) has been developed for people with degrees wanting to make a career of teaching in ECE and for international teachers seeking a New Zealand qualification.
Te ara tuku
This is an intensive, 150-credit Level 7 programme of study requiring considerable commitment and focus.
Study requirements are:
• attendance at four three-day block courses, which will be held in Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch depending on numbers
• approximately 5.5 hours of online engagement a week
• approximately 15 hours of independent study a week
• thirteen hours of practice (comprising two days a week, 6.5 hours per day) in a licensed ECE centre
• two five-week practicums.
There will be four face-to-face block courses, including one noho marae, for a total of 10 days each year.
Face-to-face block courses take place across New Zealand. Block courses are usually held at our 11 regional bases, however, regional block courses are number dependent.