Use promo code BookSavings at checkout for 5% off all publications.
This is a one to two-year part-time programme for those with an
ECE teaching diploma who would like to upgrade to a Level 7 Bachelor of
Teaching (ECE). Being part-time, you can continue to work while you
study for the degree but there are no set weekly early childhood service
The programme will deepen your knowledge of:
• curriculum inquiry
• inclusion, exclusion and marginalisation in ECE settings
• infants and toddlers
• matauranga Maori
• leadership in early childhood education.
note that, because this programme does not include a practicum
component, it is not a pathway to teacher registration. Please see our
Teacher Education Refresh programme if that is what you need.
The programme consists of three papers, each 12 weeks long.
An extra 18-week paper taught in Semester 2 may be required if you:
did not receive your diploma from Te Tari Puna Ora o Aotearoa/New
Zealand Childcare Association (NZCA) – the previous name for Te Rito
• are unable to demonstrate competency in te reo Maori me nga tikanga Maori.
Study requirements include:
approximately 12 hours of independent study per week attendance at
three two-day block courses in Wellington or Auckland in
January/February, May and August
• access to an early childhood service to complete
• assessment work related to research topics.
To join this programme, you must:
• hold a recognised Level 7 New Zealand ECE teaching diploma qualification
• provide evidence of previous experience working with children in an early childhood service.
To be confirmed
Leadership through Curriculum Inquiry
Te Ha o te Ao Maramatanga (20 credits)
Infants and Toddlers
Te Ha o te Ao Kohungahunga (20 credits)
The Teacher as Critical Pedagogue
Te Ha o te Waihanga Marautanga (20 credits)
Teaching and Learning
Te Ha o te Iwi: Matauranga Maori (30 credits, see Programme delivery)