Applications for study commencing in 2021 have now closed. Please register interest if you would like to be notified when applications for 2022 are open.
Wondering how to convert your ECE diploma to a degree? Boost your career by upgrading your ECE diploma to a degree with our teacher upgrade course.
This is a 1–2-year part-time programme for those with an ECE teaching diploma who would like to upgrade to a Level 7 Bachelor of Teaching (ECE). Being part-time, you can continue to work while you study for the degree.
The ECE upgrade programme will deepen your knowledge of:
• curriculum design, assessment and inquiry
• inclusion, exclusion and marginalisation in ECE settings
• infants and toddlers
• mātauranga Māori
• leadership in early childhood education.
Please note that, because this programme does not include a practicum component, it is not a pathway to teacher registration.
Te ara tuku
The programme consists of three courses, each 12 weeks long, and one 16
week course (Māori Teaching and Learning | Te Hā o te Ao Mātauranga
Māori) taught in semester 2, which you may be required
to complete if you meet either of the following criteria:
- You did not receive your diploma from Te Tari Puna Ora o Aotearoa/New Zealand Childcare Association (NZCA) –
the previous name for Te Rito Maioha Early Childhood New Zealand.
- You are unable to demonstrate competency in te reo Māori me ngā tikanga Māori.
This additional course includes a noho marae component.